Tramway: Call for Creatives
Another fun little sounding project for Southside Creative types to get involved with at the Tramway.
The nexy Tramway Family Day explores storytelling and early years literature.
Explore reading, writing and storytelling in a day celebrating early years literature. Taking inspiration from Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland, the event will take place across Tramway's spaces and be suitable for babies, toddlers, primary school age children and their families.
We are looking for a couple of things for next family day, and maybe people looking for experience in costume or set design can benefit from these opportunities.
- Set design / dressing - create a cost effective 'Mad Hatter's Tea Party' table set that can be set up simply within 20 mins and is child-friendly. Uses 20 chairs and 2 trestle tables. Space approx 5m x 7m.
- Needs to be sturdy as will be used 3 times during the day. Nothing breakable or unsuitable 4-12 yr olds.
- Set design / dressing - create a comfortable child-friendly Alice in Wonderland-themed storytelling corner.Must be fire-proof, able to fit around 35-40 toddlers and parents within it and be simple to set up / clear away.
Thoughts so far include a 'chess board' made from black and white cushions sewn together, with foam chess pieces as extra cushions / or a garden space? Needs to sit on floor space approx 5m x 7m and withstand full day of use from babies and toddlers.3. 4 student actors required as storytellers on the day. They will be given 3 children's books each to learn and will need to perform them to groups of 30-40 parents and toddlers / young primary school children on rotation between 10.30am and 3pm. Need to have no fear as the audience likely to be distracted and noisy!
- Costume design - We would love to have a queen of hearts and / or White Rabbit running around on the day. Anyone up for helping make this happen? Anyone up for volunteering to dress up?
- As ever event volunteers required the week before the event and on the day to help with decorations, making up goody bags etc.
Please see the event illustration (from Erin McGrath) as reference for the style we are using for event promotion and general decorations on the day.
We are open to suggestions and getting creative!
The event will take place on Sunday 8th May 10am - 6pm.
Please email us your ideas in brief along with
*Contact Tel / Email
*Rough idea of costs / timescale
Deadline for entries: 25th March at 5pm
Audience Engagement Officer
Audience Engagement Project
Leave Your Mark On Tramway
Tel: 0845 330 3501